Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Marathon- TFT

We had been training for the STG marathon prior to her diagnosis. We stuck to the training schedule pretty well. After she was diagnosed, we maybe ran 5 times in 1 month (no more than 8 miles). Probably not the best thing....but it is what it is. During the past month I knew that I was still going to do it no matter what. I wanted to do it for her. We said all along, "If she can fight cancer, we can fight through the marathon."

And that's just what we did.

We did it with our matching shirts that said (on the back), "I can't give up because Taleah won't!"

Everything leading up to the night before was quite comical. We had no idea what we were doing. Taylor decided to run 1 hour before we were heading to Pine Valley to stay the night. (he had not trained for the past 3 months) We were running around like crazy people. Seriously hilarious.

We didn't go to bed until 11:30 but woke up at 5:30. Didn't sleep too great due to the anxiety.

Being at the start line was awesome. So fun. I ran into so many people that I knew were running... which seemed crazy when there were so many people. Again, we had no idea what we were doing. Still so fun.

The race started off great. We walked through all of the drink stations(every 3 miles) and were making good enough time. Taylor and I went ahead at mile 10. We attempted staying with the 4:30 pacer, but didn't last too long. We ended up separating at mile 16. I was then alone...bad choice. I struggled once I reached mile 19. I honestly didn't think that I could go any further.

I can't even remember how many people asked who Taleah was. Everytime I repeated the shortened version of her story, the person had tears in their eyes or started running faster "for her". I can't believe I didn't break down every time. I did get tears a number of times.. a few inspirational ones (from other people), few painful tears and some tears of completion.

I was THRILLED to see my family. I needed to see someone I knew and loved. Really bad. I wanted to quit at that point (3 miles left).

When I saw these 2... it gave me that much more motivation. What a strong little girl. I knew I could finish.

Luckily Scott stayed with me for the last 2 miles. Oh man, it was tough. The heat about killed me.

The running crew. We did it... for Taleah. I am pretty sure that is how we survived. Had a deeper meaning/power. What a neat experience.

Looking back, (deep down) I am so sad about my time (5 hrs 15 min). I wanted to get under 5 hrs. I just couldn't do it. The black spots, pukey feeling....just wasn't happening. I know I should be happy that I finished, but that's the competitive side of me. Now I have to do another to get a better time. However, Taleah has been and still is one of the most important things that I am devoting my time to right now. That is really what matters.

A completion of the marathon in her honor is one thing I will NEVER forget.


  1. You are an amazing mon! What an awesome example you ate to her of a fighter!

  2. So proud of you tosh. What a huge accomplishment!! So happy that you got some good news and that things will hopefully be going a little smoother now?! I met a super cute girl at the hospital in KC that was 10 years old and had bone cancer. She had lost all of her hair and they removed half of her leg, and she's a competitive dancer. She was only diagnosed in march. But was doing so well esp. considering what all she had just been through! Such a cute girl. They actually live in the same town as us. The mom was really nice and had such a positive attitude. Reminded me of you! You've been so great through this whole process and such a good example for not only your daughter but everyone that gets to read this blog. I love you! Hope its all good news from here on out for you and your cute family!!

  3. Wow you are amazing! That's awesome you were able to finish for her without even training the past month! What a great mom and example you are for Taleah! No wonder she is so strong! Way to go Tosha!