Thursday, February 9, 2012

Home (DI Day 55)

It's amazing how you take for granted the small things. Giving your kids a bath... who knew it could mean so much...?! You would think I would have that down... not taking things for granted. Apparently I need this lesson because I seem to forget sometimes.



We were so glad to visit with Chase (another cancer cutie w/ the same diagnosis). They both have low counts so we figured we could be on "house arrest" together. Ha. It was a short playdate but Taleah had fun. Oh and Slade did too. Getting into EVERYTHING, making messes, the usual. I think we did 5 different activities in about 45 minutes (games, tea party, cars. hiding game, ect).





It has been great to be home, but I can't help but think of the Flamm family. There is a link to their blog on the side of mine. We have looked through her blog, met Amanda (Millie's mom) and asked occasional questions. Millie has the same diagnosis as Taleah and they are such a cute family. I kept telling Scott about the end of treatment party they were planning and the surprise cruise they were taking their kids on. I guess their family hit close to home because she was about Taleah's age when she was diagnosed and they had a baby boy (similar to our situation). Her last day of treatment was scheduled for Feb 2nd, and they even had a neighborhood welcoming party with signs and all. The last few months of treatment had been rough (fevers, kidney stones, surgery, ect). She couldn't get "better". They found out a few days ago that her cancer is back! It came back before she even finished treatment, which is not common/likely. She will now endure 3 months of harsh chemo(inpt at PCMC), a bone marrow transplant and then a good 6 months of healing. They tested her little brother (2 or 3 yrs old) to see if he is match (siblings are the most likely match... 1 in 4 chance). I can't even comprehend what they might be feeling. Going through 2 1/2 yrs of treatment and then finding out at the VERY END that it's back. Honestly, it terrifies me. I feel horrible for their family and I can't help but think that might be us too. I don't know what we would do. It's so scary and so wrong. It's not fair and there should be a cure for these kids. A.L.L. has a great cure rate, but it's not 100%. That scenario is one of my biggest fears. It makes me even more passionate about finding a cure and supporting the research for childhood cancer.

I just needed to get that off my chest. And there is a link on my facebook page for anyone that wants to help their family... even a little bit.

Oh man. Here is to hoping that Taleah can have a few good weeks so we can continue on with our treatment to kick cancer's butt!

No comments:

Post a Comment