Saturday, September 1, 2012

One Year Down

Taleah hit her one year mark since diagnosis on the day we left Brian Head. I felt a wave of emotions and talked to Taleah about it. Honestly, I don't think she remembers much of that day. She said she can't really remember riding in the ambulance and I am hoping she already forgot the pain, stress and anxiety she felt that day. It has been a crazy ride and one LONG year of ups and downs. The picture below shows the day in the ambulance, embracing the bald and her cute hair now. What a year!
We were due for a blood draw on Sept 4. The week before made me nervous because she was complaining of a headache, acting whiny and asking me to hold her. After all, I was "watching her". I figured something wasn't quite right with her labs. I decided (after debate back and forth.. in my head) to take her to 400 E to have her blood drawn. Nurse Jeanette had a busy day and I asked her literally the night before. The floor was very accommodating and helped us a ton. I had no one to watch Slade so he came along. I was a little nervous for that part because Taleah usually requires my full attention at these visits. She was excited for nurse Jason, but he was in a meeting so we had nurse Justin (whom she had never met). Let's just say the anxiety set in... wow. She was SCREAMING and almost throwing up. I tried to talk to her and calm her down but she wouldn't listen. We finally got her port accessed and then she realized she was fine. The red juice (her blood) came out great and I was so relieved. The port was working. YAY! We waited around for the results... even though Jason said he thought her counts were fine. Mike and Mallory kept the kids busy and they had a great time. I am pretty sure my kids didn't want to leave. Results...
ANC 2000
Hct 35
PLts 137,000
WBW 3.3
So Jason was right. She was great. I was just paranoid the same thing would happen and it would be on a holiday weekend.
She couldn't wait to perform at the DHHS game. I can't even explain how excited she was. Last year (right after diagnosis) she performed on the field.. well she stood there with her steroid, mad face. She kept saying that this year she was going to dance and smile.
I was so proud of her. She danced, smiled and loved every minute. I got a little emotional and reflected on the last year. She is one tough girl. Love her little personality.
Now we can rest easy and hope to have an uneventful weekend. Thank you for her prayers. Oh and she did pray for her counts to be good and no rain so she could dance at the game. A girl with prioritites. <3


  1. wow! quite the year!!! so happy to see that cute smile on her face! wish i coulda been there to see her perform! im sure she was awesome!!

  2. What cute pics! And that smile, soooo sweet!!! Continuing to pray for your sweet girl!!!